Named in honor of the Jesuit priest and explorer Jacques Marquette, Marquette County lies in the rich iron ore district of the north-central Upper Peninsula of Michigan. To the east are Delta and Alger counties, to the south Dickinson and Menominee counties, to the west Iron and Baraga counties. Lake Superior establishes the northern boundary. These lines were set in 1843, when the Upper Peninsula was divided into six counties established simultaneously to facilitate the completion of a topographical survey being taken by the eminent geologist and surveyor, Dr. Douglas Houghton. Marquette County was not formally organized, however, until April 4, 1848.